According to the eighth edition of Vision Pymes 2022, a survey conducted by Brother International Corporation of 750 managers and owners of small and medium-sized businesses in Colombia and Costa Rica, more than 90% of the participants stated that in the last two years they have started to sell online or dedicate a greater part of their efforts to this digital commerce model. Likewise, about 60% indicated that, during the last year, the percentage of their business that is generated through electronic commerce has increased.
The preference of consumers has been migrating towards the digital, for this reason, companies need to stay current and focus their efforts on providing their customers with a quality offering that they can easily access. Below, Marcela Acuña*, Business Development Manager of Outer Space Coders, a technology company focused on web and mobile development, shares five tips for those who are starting to venture into online sales, to do so successfully and efficient.
1. Create an easy-to-navigate website and social media for your business: A company’s website is its cover letter, so it is important that the structure is organized in such a way that users can easily find all the available products. Also, “it is essential to have a CMS, a software that allows you to administer and manage the contents of a website with ease and without extensive knowledge of web programming. Some recognized ones are Prestashop, WordPress or Magento”, affirms the expert.
2. Showcase your products or services with good quality images: Quality images help customers become familiar with the item before they buy it. Marcela Acuña affirms that, “you always have to keep in mind that the position, the angle and the lighting are determining aspects for obtaining good photos for the business. Images are understood in less than 0.1 seconds and help capture information 60,000 times faster than text”.
3. Provide excellent customer service: Having the right channels to converse with your users is essential to provide them with a great experience. The objective is to provide them with support before, during and after the purchase to achieve loyalty and, in addition, to get customers through their recommendations. Tools such as live chat, social networks, email or messaging applications, among others, are of the utmost importance to achieve this.
4. Tools to guarantee security in your e-commerce: Customer trust is a key element and having secure means of payment is essential. Marcela Acuña highlights that, “since it is the user who decides, it is necessary to offer various options that they know and trust, to make this last step much easier. In addition, it is important to have security protocols such as TCP / IP and HTTPS, which support the security of your site.
5. Use digital marketing strategies to boost your sales: An essential strategy is content marketing, which seeks to attract new customers to your online store, generating useful, entertaining or online training information through a blog. If the content is interesting, using the ‘call to action’ correctly will be an excellent complement to attract users to your business.