There is a laptop for every type of user. After all, the needs are not the same for those who are going to play as for those who are going to work. And the same can be said for students.. What are the most important features in the latter case? What factors should be taken into account? In this article we help you to make the right purchase of a laptop for a student.
The following sections include information of interest that will come in handy when purchasing a laptop for a student. We give you five keys to get it right during the purchase process and we recommend some of the most interesting models.
Five keys to success when buying a laptop for a student
Determine which is the best laptop for a student is not easy. Therefore, here we give you five keys to succeed in choosing your new team.
Set a budget
A crucial preliminary step is set a budget. In this way, it is easier to limit the number of proposals to just a few. If you only study and do not work, you may have to adjust to a certain amount of money. Try to see this situation as an advantage and set yourself the goal of finding the best option within your economic possibilities. Nowadays, it is possible to find very effective computers, even in low price ranges.
Decide which operating system is better
Have you already decided what your budget is? So, the time has come to take a look at the three proposals regarding the operating system. On the one hand, you meet the omnipresent Windows, the most popular choice of manufacturers. Its main advantage is that the vast majority of applications are available on its platform.
However, we do not recommend you to close to the Microsoft OS. Apple is putting out some interesting gear with its new M1 chips and macOS you will like it if you are already used to the company’s devices. And if you spend the day using Chrome, a chrome book It’s not a bad option, especially since it’s lightweight and works best in more modest and cheap equipment.
Determine how much power you need
If you’ve decided on your budget and the operating system that’s best for you, you’ve already come a long way. Now it’s time to focus on performance. Here we advise you to be honest with yourself and determine the power you need taking into account your real circumstances.
Although it is true that acquiring a very powerful computer is attractive, it is not always necessary to have an Intel i7 in a laptop. Only in the cases in which they are going to run heavy tasks, like video editing or 3D modeling, you should prioritize performance. But, if what you are really going to do is take notes, navigate, check email and write documents, nothing happens for make sacrifices in this area. That will help you more easily stick to your budget.
Think about the amount of data you are going to store
We move on to another basic question that you should keep in mind. We refer to the Storage capacity. Many study centers work with cloud solutions such as Google Drive or Microsoft 365 and they provide free accounts to their enrolled students. In those cases, you won’t need too much space on your local drive, since all your information will be stored remotely.
When would it be good to have more space? Yes, due to the type of studies you are studying, you are forced to save large files, such as high-resolution videos. In these cases, 512 GB or 1 TB options are interesting. On the other hand, do not forget that you are always in time to buy an external hard drive.
Go beyond studies
Finally, we give you the last key to get it right when buying a laptop for a student. It is vital that you determine what purposes your team will serve when you leave high school or college. If you are going to use the equipment to study after school hours, choose one that suits the type of studies you are studying. On the contrary, if your intention is to use it for other tasks, such as playing games or programming, we recommend that you take into account components such as the GPU, the processor or the type of RAM memory installed.
Relevant aspects in a laptop for a student
We have already put on the table some tips that, from our point of view, you should follow to make the right purchase. Next, we leave you a list with some hardware and software aspects that you should not overlook.
- Screen. A panel with Full HD resolution should be the minimum to consider. On the other hand, depending on the degree of multitasking to be executed, having more than 14 inches is basic.
- Processor and GPU. As we have expressed, determining the tasks that you are going to carry out will make it easier for you to choose these two components. For the average student with a Ryzen 3 or Intel Core i3 and an integrated graphics card it should be perfect. In case of using heavy applications, our recommendation is a Ryzen 5 or an Intel Core i5.
- Keyboard. Make sure the keyboard is of quality and will stand the test of time. Try to try the equipment in a physical store to convince yourself.
- Accessories. Stylus, touch screen, keyboard cover, wireless mouse… there is a whole world of accessories that you should consider.
- Drums. The capacity of this component largely determines the autonomy, a figure that you should control if you are going to spend a lot of time away from a plug.
The graphics card is not a determining factor to study, but if you want to play you can opt for an entry like the RTX 3050.
The best laptop for a student: our selection
Surely, at this point, you already have things clearer. However, we did not want to miss the opportunity to recommend several models so that you can find the best laptop for a student.
HP 15s-fq0011ns – 15.6″ HD Laptop (Intel Celeron N4020, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, Intel UHD Graphics, Windows 11S), White – Spanish QWERTY Keyboard
- 15.6″ (39.6 cm) diagonal HD display, micro-edge bezel, anti-glare, 220 nits, 45% NTSC (1366 x 768)
- Intel Celeron N4020 processor (1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.8 GHz burst frequency, 4 MB L2 cache, 2 cores)
- RAM DDR4-2400MHz 4GB (1 x 4GB)
- Data Storage 128GB SATA 3 TLC M.2 SSD
- Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 600
Last updated on 2022-05-13
Lenovo V15 G2
Last updated on 2022-05-13
Acer Chromebook Spin 514
Acer Chromebook Spin 514 – Laptop 2 in 1 Convertible and Touch 14 “FullHD, Laptop (AMD Ryzen 3 3250C, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, AMD Radeon Graphics, Chrome OS) Laptop Silver, QWERTY Keyboard
- CONVERTIBLE LAPTOP: The Acer Chromebook Spin 514 is a 360-degree convertible laptop with stunning visuals and a slim, lightweight design that will boost your productivity and creativity
- POWERFUL PROCESSING: The AMD processor combined with the long-lasting battery (up to 12 hours of autonomy) allows you to work on heavy and demanding applications without worrying about the computer slowing down
- FULL HD TOUCHSCREEN: With a 6mm bezel, large 14-inch Full HD IPS display and wide angle, you can enjoy movies, videos, and TV shows on your Chromebook’s touchscreen
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: Built for business professionals, this touch-enabled laptop is equipped with Wi-Fi 5, concave keys for a better typing experience, dual microphones, and dual USB Type-C ports
- CHROME OS: Increase productivity with Acer Chromebook laptops; Chrome OS is intuitive and easy to use, features fast startup, high security, and long battery life (up to 12 hours of battery life) so you can work all day on a charge.
Last updated on 2022-06-08
Lenovo IdeaPad 3
Lenovo IdeaPad 3 – 14″ FullHD Laptop (Intel Core i3-1115G4, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel UHD Graphics, Windows 10 Home), Gray Color – Spanish QWERTY Keyboard
- 14″ FullHD screen 1920×1080 pixels, TN, 250nits, Anti-glare
- Intel Core i3-1115G4 Processor (2C/4T, 3.0/4.1GHz, 6MB)
- 8GB RAM Memory (4GB Soldered DDR4-3200 + 4GB SO-DIMM DDR4-3200)
- 256GB SSD storage M.2 2242 PCIe 3.0×4 NVMe expandable up to 512GB
- Integrated graphics card Intel UHD Graphics
Last updated on 2022-05-13
Microsoft Surface Pro 7
Last updated on 2022-05-20
Laptop for a student: conclusions
There is no doubt that buying a laptop for a student It is not a simple task. After all, there are many variables that must be taken into account for the acquisition to be a resounding success. We hope that the ideas and notes included here have been useful to you to be clearer about your needs and make a successful purchase.
We recommend reading the best laptops on the market
And you do you think? What are the key points of a laptop that will be used for studying? Leave us your opinion in the comments and tell us what you think. We are waiting for you in the Professional Review community.